Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I have the latest MBP 13"
I usually have Windows 7 dual-booted, no issue along with Mac OS X Lion.

There is a job on Wednesday that I must perform (and don't want to use the supplied 10 year old Gateway computer) using a program running Windows XP.
With Windows XP, it MUST print and link up to a scoreboard.

I have thought about VMWare Fusion 5 (would rather do boot camp, though).

I'm getting the 0x0000007B which is the SATA/IDE issue that Windows XP can't find the 'IDE' HDD since it's a SATA AHCI SSD drive.

How can I get this installed and running stable?

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH

There is a job on Wednesday that I must perform (and don't want to use the supplied 10 year old Gateway computer) using a program running Windows XP.

I'm getting the 0x0000007B which is the SATA/IDE issue that Windows XP can't find the 'IDE' HDD since it's a SATA AHCI SSD drive.

You will have to use Parallels or VMware. Windows XP is not supported for Boot Camp on newer Mac models.

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011

You have to inject Intel SATA driver witin Windows XP ISO because it does not handle AHCI mode used in modern computer. RT 7 Lite can do this. Windows XP is out of date.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Windows XP has stopped being supported on Macs younger than 2011, even if you get it to work, no XP drivers are available for your machine.

You're pretty much SOL unless you go with parallels or VMware...

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
You have to inject Intel SATA driver witin Windows XP ISO because it does not handle AHCI mode used in modern computer. RT 7 Lite can do this. Windows XP is out of date.

^^This.

Running XP on VMware is certainly easier, and in most cases it will work just as well as a native installation. If a native installation is required however, then you can do the following:

You'll need a working Windows installation (any version will do) to make a new installation CD/DVD. Use nLite (or similar) to slipstream the AHCI/SATA drivers, which you can get from the Intel website. Use this guide to make the bootable cd: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/72185-sata-drivers-slipstream-into-windows-xp-cd.html

Now create the required partitions with Boot Camp Assistant (I suppose you already have, as you attempted the installation earlier ;)). After the partitions are created you can skip the rest of the Assistant's steps, just put in the CD/DVD created earlier and reboot holding the Alt key, and select the installation CD/DVD. Now the installation should work.

After the installation download the chipset drivers and graphics drivers.

After this you'll have a bootable and working OS, however you won't have the function keys (volume, brightness, etc.), and the trackpad will not have scroll or second button functions. To make those work you'll have to download the Boot Camp Support Software and try to install the drivers individually. Do not use the main installer, but the installers found in the driver folders. Note, that these might not work, and you may not be able to find working drivers anymore!

Hope this helps.

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Perfect! Just what I needed :)
I'm going to give this a try tonight right as I get home!

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Any idea which controller is in my MBP 13" latest?
I have a long list, tried the most common 4 port, no go.
Wanted to check in before I started wasting all of these DVDs :p
2TAYo.jpg

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I think you can choose to add a *folder of drivers*. I am not sure of the naming, nLite is so far but there is a way to add in one time all the inf and Windows will perform the right choice by itself during installation.

EDIT : You can select all with CTRL + A or CTRL + Clic on each.

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
No luck.
Tried almost every variation-
Selected every one in the box available, no go.
Selected PCH in Text mode, no go
Selected PCH in PNP mode, no go
Selected multi folder drive and selected all, no go
Selected multi folder drive and selected just PCH, no go

What happens is once it loads all the drivers, bottom left it says, "Windows is setting up," I believe.
Right when it enters the "What do you want to do page" where you can select to install XP, etc, it blue screens. (I don't see the screen, it BSOD's right before it).

Went through so many DVDs, any other suggestions?

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Bump? :(

May need some WinXP software if I get hired onto a prospective job offer (part-time) which I could probably use with VMWare, but rather a native installation.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Whatever ends up working for you is going to be rather "hackish". So, I'd try downloading and using this driver.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=DS033452

Your system should have the Intel 7 Series Chipset 6-port SATA AHCI Controller, going by the lspci output from other people that have installed Linux on their current MBP's.

The Windows XP driver at that URL is for that Chipset ... so it stands a good chance of working for you.

The real trick will be getting it onto a floppy disk and seen by the MBP during the Windows XP installation. Hopefully, you have a USB floppy drive and disk sitting on a shelf somewhere.

If you want to give that *lite utility another shot, then I would select the following TWO entries (none of the others make sense to me, knowing what I currently know about the suspected chipset that's in your system):

- ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) PCHM SATA AHCI Controller 6 Port

You could also try "injecting" that driver linked to above into the Windows XP install media, if nothing else works.

If none of that works, just use it as a virtual machine (you've already put forth way more effort than I ever would have up to this point. I would've create a VM long ago.)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Bump? :(

May need some WinXP software if I get hired onto a prospective job offer (part-time) which I could probably use with VMWare, but rather a native installation.

It's doubtful you'd get this to work, but why would you prefer the native installation? Virtual machines are a proven way of doing what you're trying to accomplish. It's likely that even in the virtual machine, Windows will communicate with the device you need to use.

rawfuls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Whatever ends up working for you is going to be rather "hackish". So, I'd try downloading and using this driver.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=DS033452

Your system should have the Intel 7 Series Chipset 6-port SATA AHCI Controller, going by the lspci output from other people that have installed Linux on their current MBP's.

The Windows XP driver at that URL is for that Chipset ... so it stands a good chance of working for you.

The real trick will be getting it onto a floppy disk and seen by the MBP during the Windows XP installation. Hopefully, you have a USB floppy drive and disk sitting on a shelf somewhere.

If you want to give that *lite utility another shot, then I would select the following TWO entries (none of the others make sense to me, knowing what I currently know about the suspected chipset that's in your system):

You could also try "injecting" that driver linked to above into the Windows XP install media, if nothing else works.

If none of that works, just use it as a virtual machine (you've already put forth way more effort than I ever would have up to this point. I would've create a VM long ago.)

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Don't know what it was, but made a combination of the below:
- Lenovo Intel Chipset:
- Intel SATA AHCI 6 Port
- Intel ICH7M/MDH SATA RAID Controller

Got it right into the installer.

Thanks guys!
Time to search for drivers!

I don't like giving up on things halfway through, so I will likely find all the drivers, burn them onto a disc, then throw it into my CD pile along with this installer disc.
Then probably run VMWare.
LOL.
In either case, I now have a few backup options!
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.