Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
Howdy, y'all!

I'm into music production and my objective is to configure a solid machine that I can depend on. I recently bought a new (used) 2010 mini server to accomplish this. I chose the mid 2010 mini because I wanted to be able to run my older Windows software (Cubase SX1, Sound Forge/CD Architect) using XP, and Snow Leopard is the last Mac OS that allows this, officially. (I opted for the server version because it has two better and larger hard drives...) However, I've spent a whole week searching the internet forums, articles, tutorials, etc trying to get my computer up and running with XP, but still can't find all the drivers. Would someone here be able to help me out?

My mini came with Lion on one drive, and I installed Snow Leopard client (10.6.3 'new version') on the second drive and updated it to 10.6.8. I then installed Boot Camp and XP. On the XP side, I inserted the SL dvd and installed Boot Camp Assistant 3, but it couldn't find any drivers. After reading more articles, I downloaded a file that contains Leopard-Lion drivers, and an earlier version of Boot Camp Assistant (2.0 or 2.1), and unpacked everything in XP using the recommended app '7-zip'. (I also installed Parallels Desktop 8, which helped a little in finding some drivers.) In order to install the earlier Boot Camp Assistant, I reinstalled XP and followed the steps exactly. I even opened up each file in 7-zip and unpacked/copied the .dll files and/or .inf files to a folder, and then navigated to that folder when trying to install the drivers. But I'm getting the same result (Can't find the driver). I'm really at a loss now, and honestly, I don't know what I'm doing here!

I still get "?" in Hardware Manager (when using Parallels) for 2 PCI devices and Video Controller (VGA compatible)...

Does anyone have a similar set up? If so, where did you find the drivers? (Or do I have the drivers and I just don't know it?) Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
On the XP side, I inserted the SL dvd and installed Boot Camp Assistant 3, but it couldn't find any drivers.

You're not running XP 64-bit are you? If you're on 32-bit, do you have SP3 installed?
The boot camp installer on the DVD includes the drivers for Macs up to that time, but there is an update which is newer, and will only install on top of the package that comes from the DVD. That update is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1333

----------

I still get "?" in Hardware Manager (when using Parallels) for 2 PCI devices and Video Controller (VGA compatible)...

Parallels does not use the Boot Camp drivers, so you'll need to install the Parallels Tools drivers from within the Parallels application to get the missing devices to work properly.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
Thanks for your response, chrfr!

I'm running 32-bit and actually, I haven't run any updates, just the basic install of XP. (Kinda testing it out first, then do a complete reinstall of SL, Boot Camp, XP, etc...)

I'll try installing SP3 and the Boot Camp 3.2 update, and post back...

Thanks again!

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
Ok, so I installed the Parallels Tools app and everything works when using Parallels, so that's cool. (Is it normal, though, for the RAM to appear a lot lower in the XP System Properties page? I have 8 gigs, but it shows only 2.75)

Anyway, Windows update gave me an error (Error number: 0x80244019) so I couldn't get SP3. Just wondering, I have SP3 on my 2007 MBP, is there a way to copy the important updates from there so I don't have to download them all again?

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I refer to my post in another thread about using XP after the April 8th end of support date:

I highly recommend everyone to not use this OS anymore anywhere. If you do you're either very crazy or very dumb unless you're happy with an infected system. [...]

Same goes for Snow Leopard, Apple doesn't support it either anymore. The only advantage here over your XP system is that Mac OS X isn't targeted as often as Windows. I highly recommend to upgrade both systems to the latest version! Windows is very cheap nowadays and the upgrade to OS X Mavericks is completely free of charge.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, so I installed the Parallels Tools app and everything works when using Parallels, so that's cool. (Is it normal, though, for the RAM to appear a lot lower in the XP System Properties page? I have 8 gigs, but it shows only 2.75)

32-Bit Windows can't use more than about 3GB of RAM.
This is a link to the full Service Pack 3 installer. No, it's not possible to copy just some files over.

Do take note of the end of support for Windows XP. It will no longer receive security updates so continuing to use XP is not a great idea unless you must do so for compatibility reasons.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Do take note of the end of support for Windows XP. It will no longer receive security updates so continuing to use XP is not a great idea unless you must do so for compatibility reasons.

And even in that case you really should disconnect it from the internet.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
Thanks for the direct link, very helpful!

I installed XP SP3, then Boot Camp 3 Assistant, and then applied the 3.2 update. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to help the situation. Still missing the exact same drivers. Additionally, for screen resolution I still have only 2 choices, but now it is distorted (I'm using a 19" widescreen monitor). Does anyone know the exact drivers I need, and if so, a way to manually install each one?

As for security, I understand the risks. I only plan to use XP for running music apps and have no need for an internet connection. For web browsing, I'll use Lion and possibly SL. (I didn't know Apple had already given up on SL, though! Thanks for the tip!)

I bought a copy of SL server (client) when I got my mini, as well, though I'm not using it right now. Are there any advantages to running that instead of SL (for music, etc. I don't have a server or need one)?

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for the direct link, very helpful!

I installed XP SP3, then Boot Camp 3 Assistant, and then applied the 3.2 update. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to help the situation. Still missing the exact same drivers. Additionally, for screen resolution I still have only 2 choices, but now it is distorted (I'm using a 19" widescreen monitor). Does anyone know the exact drivers I need, and if so, a way to manually install each one?

As far as my knowledge goes there might be no XP drivers for your Mac, I recommend to install it in a virtual machine if that is the case.

As for security, I understand the risks. I only plan to use XP for running music apps and have no need for an internet connection. For web browsing, I'll use Lion and possibly SL. (I didn't know Apple had already given up on SL, though! Thanks for the tip!)

I bought a copy of SL server (client) when I got my mini, as well, though I'm not using it right now. Are there any advantages to running that instead of SL (for music, etc. I don't have a server or need one)?

OK, but there are even less reasons to use Lion over Mavericks. Mavericks does the exact same things just better and the upgrade is free as I already mentioned. Using Snow Leopard Server is quite ... not necessary since you don't have a server. :confused: I don't see the point in doing so and if you really want a server system anyway you can download a server add-on for Mavericks for 20 bucks from the App Store.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

No, there's no reason for you to be running OS X Server, and yes, I'd definitely use Mavericks over Lion.
Are you using the grey installer disc which came with your Mini to install XP drivers? If not, the retail disc simply won't have the right drivers.

----------

As far as my knowledge goes there might be no XP drivers for your Mac

XP is supported on the mid-2010 Mini.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not if he has Bootcamp 4.0 or later that came with Lion which he uses for web browsing.

Yes, but I believe I covered that with the statement that he needs the original disk and the various 3.x Boot camp updates.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
I've heard it's a bit tricky to accomplish what I'm trying to do, especially without the install discs. (I was thinking to order them directly from Apple, but I'm guessing they'd only give me the SL SERVER discs, which don't contain bootcamp anyway.) From what I've gathered reading online, some people have successfully installed XP on their 2010 minis, but it's a bit complicated. Here's the link to a step-by-step guide I followed:

(this one isn't specifically for the 2010 mini though)
http://danieltharp.com/weblog/2012/...s-xp-sp3-on-mac-osx-lion-and-get-drivers-too/

I also referenced this one, which is pretty much the same as my dilemma:
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/83157/

(I sent him a message on his homepage a few days ago, but haven't gotten a response)

I used the SL 10.6.3 client "new version" disc to install. So if I had Mac mini SL 10.6.3 install discs, that would solve my issues? I see some on ebay now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360900486781?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And Mavericks is a lot better than Lion? Thanks for that info! I'll definitely look into updating my 1st hard drive then!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
(I was thinking to order them directly from Apple, but I'm guessing they'd only give me the SL SERVER discs, which don't contain bootcamp anyway.)
You'd call Applecare to buy the replacement discs, not the Apple Store. Honestly though, your money is better spent buying a copy of Windows 7 and then you can use the freely downloadable Bootcamp 4 drivers.

I used the SL 10.6.3 client "new version" disc to install. So if I had Mac mini SL 10.6.3 install discs, that would solve my issues?
Yes, this would solve it. The 2010 Mini came with a build of 10.6.3 that is later than the retail one, thus the Bootcamp drivers for the mini are not included in the retail disc.
Lion was sort of a half-baked transition toward a bunch of new technologies included in it and the later operating systems. Both Mountain Lion and Mavericks are generally regarded as being far more reliable. Mountain Lion is still available but not free, so Mavericks makes more sense.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
Ah, Applecare! Thanks for clarifying that!

The 2010 Mini came with a build of 10.6.3 that is later than the retail one, thus the Bootcamp drivers for the mini are not included in the retail disc.
So my computer was made after the disc was released, that makes sense. And I see the 'New Version' came out in April 2010. But as long as the components are essentially the same in the 2010 mini and mini server, then hopefully it'll all be good...

I'd like to upgrade to 7 or 8 in the near future, but right now I can't spend $500 on a new music production program. I've gotten to know mine pretty well now and have no problems with it (and there are still things I don't know about it even!). The hassle it's causing here, however, along with the RAM limitation (that's a huge disappointment right there!) makes me want to at least consider taking a step forward. But for now at least, I'd like to get XP on here and see what happens.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I'd like to upgrade to 7 or 8 in the near future, but right now I can't spend $500 on a new music production program.

What makes you think that your music software wouldn't work on Windows 8.1? Especially with compatibility settings? How long is the Windows NT 6.x kernel out? Since Vista was released in 2007. If it isn't compatible with it would mean that your music software is more than 7 years out of support. XP is your least important problem then.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
What makes you think that your music software wouldn't work on Windows 8.1?
Hmm. Good question. My main music program is Cubase SX1, which I bought back in like 2003. Since then, I've only been using my MBP which had 10.4 and then I updated to 10.6.8 last year. And XP on the bootcamp side. I haven't used really used Windows 7 or 8. Is compatibility mode solid, though? Or is it more like virtualization? I want to be sure it's solid and not always crashing! The other software I use is Sound Forge Pro 10 and CD Architect 5.5, but they're quite recent versions...

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I have no idea if Cubase SX1 works in Windows 8.1. Why don't you download the Windows 8.1 trial and test it out?

Nevertheless it's still a 2003 software and a LOT has changed in the past 11 years.

shirafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Tokyo
I'm back! Lol.

Ok, so the guy from the MacObserver link I posted about (who successfully setup his mini the way I want to do mine) sent me the drivers. The zip file included bootcamp 3.0, so I did a system restore to the point after the XP SP3 installation, but before my upgrade to bootcamp 3.2. I installed it, and it looked like all the drivers installed properly during the setup. I shut down and restarted, but...same deal. I tried updating to Bootcamp 3.1 (using my SL client dvd)--didn't help, and then attempted to apply the 3.2 update as well, but for some reason it won't actually install. Is there a way to manually install the drivers one-by-one? It's very hard to know which one goes where! Oh, and I asked the guy how he did it, but it's been a few years and he has completely forgotten. (On a somewhat related note, he has since upgraded to Mavericks, but is still running XP on the Windows side...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.