Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G4-2205la

Hello.

For this particular HP computer the BIOS is not friendly AT ALL.  

Let me explain.

This computer came with Windows 8 64Bits (Which in my opinion is a TERRIBLE OS), So I decide to downgrade to Windows XP.

I have an .ISO file that was burned into a DVD at the slowest speed and it succesfully write and verified the disc.

I read a few blogs and an update in my BIOS was "supposed to be a must and now I am running the last version of it. Also I read that LEGACY SUPPORT needed to be ENABLED and SECURED BOOT - DISABLED to BOOT from the WIN XP DISC. 

So I did and the OUTCOME was the same BSOD error 0x0000007b.

after the BIOS modification or by using the original setup default options to initialize the boot form the DISC it succed, I decide to DELETE all the partitions and start from ZERO. So the HD was formated as NTFS (only option available). After this the system start to load all the files into folders to start the Win XP install. until this point everything its working, once it finish with thsi process the system requires to RE-BOOT. 

Once the system starts again (without any DISC or USB attached) it shows the WINDOWS XP logo and after a couple of seconds I get the BSOD error 0x0000007b

and nothing else I can do...

I read from other HP owners about SATA and AHCI options, also about IDE.   but I cannot find anything to workout something with my computer model.

It has been 6 LONG nights now and I am very frustrated.

Could anyone help me please !!!

* I am attaching pictures of my BIOS and also the SETUP process step by step.

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_7267.JPG

IMG_7775.JPGIMG_7776.JPGIMG_7777.JPGIMG_7778.JPGIMG_7779.JPGIMG_7780.JPGIMG_7781.JPGIMG_7782.JPGIMG_7783.JPGIMG_7784.JPGIMG_7785.JPGIMG_7786.JPGIMG_7787.JPGIMG_7788.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Triton_Prod wrote:

I read a few blogs and an update in my BIOS was "supposed to be a must and now I am running the last version of it. Also I read that LEGACY SUPPORT needed to be ENABLED and SECURED BOOT - DISABLED to BOOT from the WIN XP DISC. 

So I did and the OUTCOME was the same BSOD error 0x0000007b.

(...)

I read from other HP owners about SATA and AHCI options, also about IDE.   but I cannot find anything to workout something with my computer model. (...)

Hello @Triton_Prod

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Thank you for your detailed description - this is much appreciated.

Usually, this error during installation is due to the HDD mode (SATA/AHCI/IDE) but it will either appear before the blue installation screens of Windows XP (a.k.a. you won't be able to format the hard disk drive to NTFS) or it will not detect your currect hard disk drive at all. Based on your description and pictures, it appears after that. I have never seen in at this state of installation due to the HDD mode but who knows... In all cases, Windows XP is not supported on this PC model:

1) It is too old - XP has been released to the public in 2001. It's now end of 2017 (16 years ago...)

2) Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft since 2014 (3+ years now) and not supported by lots of other vendors, too

3) HP hasn't released Windows XP drivers for this PC model.

Actually, this computer officially supports Windows 7, 8, 8.1 - it might also be able to run Windows 10

Even if you manage to install XP on this PC, there is no way to obtain XP compatible drivers for it and lots of the hardware might not function correctly. Remember how different communication and IT technology was 10 - 16 years ago.

4) You cannot modify HDD mode on this PC model - it is either SATA or most likely AHCI.

So, if you dislike Windows 8 and if have a license for Windows 7, I recommend you run Windows 7 - it should install and run without problems. Drivers for W7 can be obtained from >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-g4-2200-notebook-pc-series/5296078/mode...

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi, @Triton_Prod

If you still want to stick with XP (though you are going to have a hard time getting the audio to work), you need to slipstream the SATA AHCI drivers into your XP installation media.

Read this link, AMD section, and then read the downloadable document for how to slipstream all of the SATA drivers.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B...

I have zipped up and attached the XP 32 bit SATA drivers you need for Windows to install, below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder and slipstream the folder.

Good luck.  It's a fun project if you can get it to work.

Edit:  I see that the downloadable document is no longer available.

I have attached the document below. It discusses slipstreaming the Intel drivers, but you would slipstream the AMD drivers I attached the same way.

In step 8, select the insert multiple driver folder to slipstream.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

If you still want to stick with XP (though you are going to have a hard time getting the audio to work), you need to (...)

Good luck.  It's a fun project if you can get it to work.

Dear @Triton_Prod

I strongly recommend against any further attempts of getting XP to work on this PC.

It's not how to make fun of this - it's how to make it work and run stable in the long term.

@Paul_Tikkanen@Triton_Prod will have more problem than just getting the audio to work:

• no official XP support is present neither from Microsoft, nor from HP techs
  • no drivers are officially available for this obsolete platform
  • XP Home or XP Pro hasn't received security or other updates from its vendor (Microsoft) for 3 years now (standard users, standard channel, not military, not corporate)
  • Many antivirus/firewall and other security vendors do not support XP with their latest versions and some don't support it at all - a.k.a. they don't have any version which can run or update under XP.
  • Browser vendors like Google (Chrome) and Mozilla (Firefox) have abandonded XP support and none of their latest versions work on XP . The end results is PC will not be as protected as it is under Windows 7, 8 or 10 and the user may have difficulties opening certain web pages in future.
  • Windows XP has no support for modern technologies - like SSD drives should @Triton_Prod decide to switch at certain time in future

Yes, I remember XP and (setting security issues aside) XP was good and may be better than Windows 7, 8 or 10 - it seemed more stable at some times, running better. But things have changed and due to vendor decision, it is not suitable to be used anymore today.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.